Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Why?

"but I was the slave, not the master, of an impulse, which I detested, yet could not disobey" page 164


This is interesting because the creature kept telling Victor that he was the slave and the creature was the master. Now the creature is calling himself the slave. I think he is saying this because deep down the creature didn't want to hurt people. I don't think the creature was "born" evil because he first reaches out to Victor and he wants to be a part of the De Lacey family. The creature only became bad because of how society treated him. The creature had absolutely no one to turn to. He tried everything he could to get people to accept him but no one would. When Victor doesn't make the female creature, he destroys the creature's last hopes of happiness. Because of this, I think the creature felt like he had to kill Victor. He was fixated on this idea that making Victor's life miserable was his purpose in life because Victor had robbed him of a chance to enjoy his own life. I don't think the creature killed Victor's loved ones out of pure malice. I think he did it because he felt alone and betrayed. He was hurt so deeply that he had to hurt others to attempt at making himself feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment