Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Blame Game

"During these last days I have been occupied in examining my past conduct; nor do I find it blameable. In a fit of enthusiastic madness I created a rational creature, and was bound towards him, to assure, as far as was in my power, his happiness and well-being." page 161


Hmm that's weird because it didn't seem like Victor was trying to make the creature happy at all! I feel like Victor is contradicting himself in this statement. He says that he doesn't think he should be blamed for everything that happened because he wasn't intending harm to occur. I do understand that because Victor didn't create the monster with an intent to endanger human kind, especially his family. However, I do think Victor should be held responsible for creating the monster and then running away and leaving the monster to fend for himself. How did Victor expect the creature to act when he completely abandoned him? One reason why I think Victor's statement is contradictory is because earlier in the book, after Henry died, Victor is blaming himself for what happened. "Justine, poor unhappy Justine, was as innocent as I, and she suffered the same charge; she died for it; and I am the cause of this- I murdered her. William, Justine, and Henry- they all died by my hands." (page 136) Here, Victor is blaming himself because he created the monster that killed those characters. I don't think Victor should be blamed for everything that happened because he didn't create the monster maliciously, but he still has to take some of the blame because he did bring the creature into existence and leave it alone to learn from society how to act. 

No comments:

Post a Comment