Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby- 1

"At the enchanted metropolitan twilight I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes" page 57


I think Nick and Gatsby are parallel characters. From the outside, they appear quite different because Gatsby is rich and owns a huge mansion and is very successful while Nick doesn't really know many people, doesn't have much money and isn't very successful in the business world. However, I think they actually have a lot in common. They were both in the war which I think affected both of them. Gatsby even says that he wanted to die in the war. I think the thing they most have in common, is their desire for something greater than possessions. I think they both want companionship. Gatsby pines for Daisy and has waited for five years just to see her again. He is rich and successful but deep down he is lonely and only wants Daisy. Nick is also lonely as seen in the above quote. He wants to be happy and is searching for a companion. He thinks he might be in love with Jordan but he has a "situation" back home that he has to figure out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment