Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby- 4


"Involuntarily I glanced seaward- and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and faraway, that might have been the end of a dock. When I looked once more for Gatsby he had vanished, and I was alone again in the unquiet darkness." page 22


At first I didn't know if this had any relevance at all but after reading the first half of the book, I definitely think the green light is a symbol. I was confused as to why Gatsby was staring at a dock. This was also when little was known about Gatsby's character so he appeared mysterious and like he was hiding deep secrets. We later find out that the green light was at the end of Daisy's dock and Gatsby is in love with Daisy so he likes to look out and know that he can see her. I think the green light represents Gatsby's hope for the future. As long as he can see that green light, he believes that there is a chance for him to be happy with Daisy. I think it represents everyone's dreams as well. The green light is like that light at the end of the tunnel. If we see even a slight possibility that something can still happen, then we believe it and we hope for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment