Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Creature Returns Yet Never Really Left

"That is also my victim!" he exclaimed; "in his murder my crimes are consummated; the miserable series of my being is wound to its close!" page 163


After Victor dies, the creature comes to the place of his body. This scene was contradicting for me too. The creature says, " Oh Frankenstein! generous and self-devoted being! what does it avail that I now ask thee to pardon me? I, who irretrievably destroyed thee by destroying all thou lovedst." (page 163) The creature hated Victor because he abandoned him and didn't grant him his only wish yet now he is asking for his forgiveness? It makes met think that the creature is being sarcastic, especially when he calls Victor "generous". But then again, I think the creature does have a good heart, he just felt betrayed by Victor and excluded from society. He killed the people he did because no one would accept him or try to get to know him. I think the creature came to see Victor because he wanted to finish what he started. Once Victor decided not to make a companion for the creature, the creature knew he would never be happy. He had to kill Victor and his loved ones to show Victor how much pain he had caused the creature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment