Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby- Poor Gatsby

"The minister glanced several times at his watch, so I took him aside and asked him to wait for half an hour. But it wasn't any use. Nobody came." page 175


This book wasn't really sad but this part really made me sad. I kind of sympathized with Gatsby the whole book. There was something about him that was relatable. He threw all these huge parties and was so mysterious about where he got his money but deep down he did everything he did for Daisy. He was so in love with her and he would do anything to get her back. He didn't have a lot of friends but he seemed to be a pretty likable guy to me. The fact that four people came to his funeral is really sad. It's almost kind of funny because you would think there had to be more than four people come to his funeral considering he had parties every week at his house with hundreds of people. I think that showed what kind of society they were living in. Everyone was "friends" but really they just talked to each other because they wanted to be with people who were at the same social level as they were. Every move people made, every person they talked to was just a calculated move that had to do with money or success. Gatsby truly did care about people but no one cared for him in return. 

1 comment:

  1. I have this fear of nobody attending my funeral. This part actually did make me really sad too. I wonder if Gatsby thought that people actually liked him? Just makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete