Friday, August 12, 2011

One strong woman- 20

"I keep thinking about this river somewhere, with the water moving really fast. And these two people in the water, trying to hold onto each other, holding on as hard as they can, but in the end it's just too much. The current's too strong. They've got to let go, drift apart. That's how I think it is with us. It's a shame, Kath, because we've loved each other all our lives. But in the end, we can't stay together forever." (Never Let Me Go, page 282) 


I really liked Kathy's character. I felt like she was strong and considerate, yet had insecurities just like all of us. I felt like I could really relate to her. She loved Tommy all along, yet she never tried to steal him from her best friend. Kathy was also very positive. While other carers hated their jobs and the solitude, Kathy found comfort in the alone time she had. I also find it heartwarming how much she loved Hailsham and all the memories she had there. She could have been angry at the way her life turned out and wanted more from it. I'm sure she was a little bitter, but she chose to embrace the life she had and live it to the fullest. This idea of clones is scary and throughout this book I wondered how our society today would embrace it. It's strange to think that if these students did exist, they would pretty much be just like us. I enjoyed this book a lot better than Brave New World and I feel like that is because it was written in first person point of view and I could really relate to Kathy.

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice when you like the 2nd book better than the 1st.

    Great work, Pauline.

    ReplyDelete