Friday, August 5, 2011

The Many Sides of Ruth- 11

"I'd had this notion there were two quite separate Ruths...there'd been a definite understanding these two Ruths wouldn't merge; that the one I confided in before bed was one I could absolutely trust." (Never Let Me Go, page 129)


The reader can clearly tell that Ruth is a round character. She has lots of dimensions to her and seems to almost be two different people like Kathy states. It is difficult to identify which is the real Ruth. I think she values her friendship with Kathy, but I also think she strives for attention and popularity. Round characters are very complex and Ruth is definitely complex. I'm not evens sure if Ruth herself knows who she is. She cares so much about how other people perceive her and contemplates her every move. It looks like she is trying way to hard to get people to like her. What I still don't understand is how her and Tommy are a couple. Tommy is completely down to earth and isn't afraid to be himself. Ruth is the complete opposite and will lie about anything to get people to like her. There hasn't been a scene in the book about how Ruth and Tommy act when they are alone together and I'm curious to know.


Ruth reminds me of the character Nathan from my favorite tv show One Tree Hill. Nathan tries to act cool and is a jerk to a lot of people because he wants to be popular and have the popular people like him. However, when he is with his girlfriend, Haley, he acts completely different and is actually a sweet guy. In the end, he chooses Haley over his friends; so we will see what Ruth chooses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw1m4XPC8TE&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment