Thursday, August 11, 2011

End of an era- 16

"I thought about Hailsham closing, and how it was like someone coming along with a pair of shears and snipping the balloon strings just where they entwined above the man's fist. Once that happened, there'd be no real sense in which those balloons belonged with each other any more." (Never Let Me Go, page 213)


I really like this analogy because it puts into perspective how Kathy feels about Hailsham closing. It is kind of like her childhood is gone because this was the place where she grew up and where she created her fondest memories. I feel sad for Kathy because I know how much Hailsham meant to her. It would be like if Roncalli or Saint Barnabas got torn down. Even though I wouldn't still be going to school there, I would still be incredibly sad because that is where a lot of my childhood memories are.


The second part of the analogy discusses that after the balloons are separated, they can't really be connected to each other any longer. Kathy feels like now that Hailsham is gone, there is no reason for all the former students to stay in touch. There is no longer something that connects them. I kind of feel like all the characters think that once they leave Hailsham, there good days are behind them. Now that they are carers and donors, there is nothing really to look forward too. Although Kathy enjoys being a carer, I think she cherishes Hailsham so much because it was a huge part of her life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment