Monday, August 8, 2011

Daft and Jealousy- 15

"In fact, if that's why you're hiding in here now, it's really daft." (Never Let Me Go, page 188)


"She said immediately how daft it was, the three of us having rows over the most stupid things." (Never Let Me Go, page 199)


Daft: senseless, stupid, or foolish; insane or crazy. I had no idea what daft meant but I guessed it was something bad. The constant usage of the word daft in the novel is an example of dialect. I think it was a term mostly used in England since that is where the characters are from. I think dialect is effective because it shows the reader where the characters are coming from. 


On another note, I'm starting to think Ruth is jealous of Kathy's relationship with Tommy. I think Ruth feels threatened by Kathy and doesn't want to lose Tommy. Especially when Ruth tells Kathy that Tommy could never see Kathy as a "proper girlfriend", it's clear that Ruth has some jealousy. Kathy doesn't share much insight on what Ruth said and leaves the subject kind of mysterious. This makes me think that deep down Kathy does have feelings for Tommy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment