Sunday, August 7, 2011

End of a friendship? -12

"As it turned out, though, it was just about the last moment like that between me and Ruth for the rest of that outing." (Never Let Me Go, page 149)


I think this line is definitely foreshadowing Ruth and Kathy's friendship. The girls are growing further and further apart, and I think this trip to Norfolk may be the final straw. Ruth has made it clear that she wants to be connected to the veterans at the Cottages like Chrissie and Rodney. She cares a lot about her reputation and if Tommy and Kathy are messing it up, I have no doubt she will drop them in two seconds.


The structure of this book is very different. The sequence of events is all out of order and there is a lot of foreshadowing at the end of every chapter. I think foreshadowing is effective because it makes the reader want to keep reading on. So far, I like this book better than Brave New World because I feel like there is more excitement and secrets to be discovered. I also feel like the characters have more depth to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment