Monday, June 20, 2011

Tag Team-6

"...a feeling that I've got something important to say and the power to say it-only I don't know what it is, and I can't make any use of the power." (Brave New World, page 69)


Chapter 4 introduces a new character named Helmoltz Watson. He is pretty much the All-American guy with his charming good looks, effortless intelligence, and popularity among his colleagues. I find it interesting that he is friends with Bernard Marx. Bernard is extremely insecure and often gets uncomfortable being around his equals. Helmoltz on the other hand seems like the type of person who is extremely sure of himself and never lacks confidence in his abilities.


However, when he says the above quote, it makes me wonder what is coming next. I think both of these characters are going to become important and possibly create an important change. I feel like Bernard is the only character so far who has shown any signs of emotion. He is different that's for sure. I think he is someone who doesn't agree with everything that is going on and would be open to changing things. Although I don't think he alone can't change anything, maybe if he teams up with Helmoltz, something can be accomplished.


Bernard and Helmoltz remind me of Captain Kirk and Spock from Star Trek. Kirk is the handsome, popular one like Helmoltz and Spock is the one who is different looking but still is intelligent like Bernard.



No comments:

Post a Comment