Monday, June 27, 2011

O Captain, My Captain-16

"Don't you want to be free and men? Don't you even understand what manhood and freedom are?" (Brave New World, page 213)


After Linda dies, John gets the urge inside of him to make a change. He feels like "it was a challenge, a command". I really liked this scene because I felt like something big was about to happen. I don't know if anyone will listen to John because he is considered a "savage". On the other hand, being a savage might be a reason people will listen to him because he knows another life. 


John's outburst reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Dead Poets Society. John is like the teacher in the movie, Mr. Keating, in the sense that they both have no desire to play by the rules or try to please others. They also both have good intentions and want to help others realize that they need to live their own lives and be true to themselves. I hope John can open people eyes to another lifestyle outside of soma and "every one belongs to every one else".

1 comment: