Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Heroes and Endings-18

"If you allowed yourselves to think of God, you wouldn't allow yourselves to be degraded by pleasant vices. You'd have a reason for bearing things patiently, for doing things with courage. I've seen it with the Indians." (Brave New World, page 236)


Chapter 17 is basically a quarrel between John and Mustapha Mond. I think this chapter shows that John is the protagonist of the story. At first, I thought Bernard would be the protagonist but he has not really been too heroic. I think John possesses all the characteristics of the protagonist. He is brave and willing to stand up for what he believes in, which in this case is freedom and individuality. He is also humble and not overly confident in himself. 


I really have no idea how this story is going to end. I thought John and Helmotz might be able to create some sort of rebellion and change but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Now it sounds like John, Helmotz, and Bernard are going to be sent to an island. I understand what the Controller is saying when he says that the island would be good for the men because I think it would be. However, I feel like that would just be a horrible ending. And then they were sent to an island...and?? I want something big to happen! I don't know what, just something big. 

No comments:

Post a Comment