Thursday, June 23, 2011

Breaking Free-10

"Are you?" John looked surprised. "I thought that in the Other Place...I mean, Linda always said that nobody was ever alone there." (Brave New World, page 137)


So far, this book has made me incredibly sad. I really feel for Bernard because although he has his flaws, I feel like he just wants to belong. He doesn't want to just do what everyone else wants him to do, he wants to be free and be able to share his feelings. As an outcast, he feels completely alone and I thought that once he experienced a world outside of the hatchery, he would find happiness. 


However, then John is introduced who lives in an uncivilized society and is just as unhappy as Bernard. I think Bernard and John will really understand each other because they are basically in the same situation. However, John clearly has feelings for Lenina which might cause problems in the future. I wonder what will happen once John is introduced to the Other Place. Will he still want to marry Lenina? Will he conform and become just like the rest of them?


I'm not sure if Bernard and John are going to be able to completely free themselves from their pasts and the way they were raised. Even though people can change, their past will always be a part of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment