Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oh My Ford-7

"Oh, for Ford's sake, be quiet!" (Brave New World, page 90)


"Thank Ford," she said to herself, "he's all right again." (Brave New World, page 92)


The unique dialect of Brave New World helps explain what kind of society the characters live in. It seems that Ford is like their God. Just as people today say "oh my god!" or "for heavens sake" people in the novel use Ford's name. I think the use of this dialect is very effective because it shows how big of a role Ford has in the society. He is so well-known and powerful that his name is used in everyday dialogue. 


So far for me, Brave New World has not been very easy to comprehend. However, I gain a lot of knowledge through the dialogue the characters have and the manner in which it is said. The dialect allows the reader to imagine that they are in the same setting as the characters and makes the characters relatable. I interpret the dialect of the characters as if someone was speaking in an accent. I understand what they are saying but the way they say it makes it more difficult to interpret.

No comments:

Post a Comment