Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Breaking the chains-8

"It makes me feel as though...as though I were more me, if you see what I mean. More on my own, not so completely a part of something else. Not just a cell in the social body. Doesn't it make you feel like that, Lenina?" (Brave New World, page 90)


It makes me happy to see that someone wants to break loose of the social boundaries. I find it so hard to believe that every single person is perfectly fine with their life and doesn't mind not being completely individual. These people are getting drilled in their head from infancy catchphrases such as every one belongs to every one else and cubic centimetre cures ten gloomy sentiments. All the characters recite these phrases to diminish any of their doubts and to reassure themselves. Bernard is the only one who wants to be free of the social castes. I don't know if it's because he feels like such an outsider or because he just really wants to live his life the way he wants.


When Bernard has a conversation with the Director, the reader gets a glimpse of the Director's past. The Director almost shows some emotion but he quickly hides it. I wonder if everyone has these kinds of thoughts but some people are just better at hiding it than others. However, most characters such as Lenina are good people but firmly believe they are just a part of the social circle and have no individual meaning. I'm curious to know where they story will go from here and if anyone else will show some emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment