Thursday, June 30, 2011

Seeking Change- 19

"He said he wanted to go on with the experiment. But I'm damned," the Savage added, with sudden fury, "I'm damned if I'll go on being experimented with. Not for all the Controllers in the world. I shall go away to-morrow too."
"But where?" the others asked in unison. 
The Savage shrugged his shoulders. "Anywhere. I don't care. So long as I can be alone." (Brave New World, page 243)


I think John is just misunderstood. He has good intentions at heart but he fails to properly express himself to others. He wanted to help people, he really did. However, without the consent of the Controller or anyone else in power, there was not much he could accomplish. It's kind of like the song Waiting on the World to Change by John Mayer. One of the lyrics is, "it's hard to beat the system when we're standing at a distance". In this type of society, a person can't change anything unless they are in a place of power. John did not hold a political position, so he couldn't reform society. 


Nevertheless, John does have an influence over people. Because he is so different, people are attracted to him. When he goes off to live in solitude, reporters follow him because they find his actions interesting. I think people listen to John but they can't take him seriously. He grew up in an uncivilized world. I guess it would be like if someone ran into Roncalli preaching about many gods who saved him. Everyone would think the man was ridiculous because we already have a firm belief in one God. The hardest thing to do is change someone's mind, so I'm not surprised John did not succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment