Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Panther

This was another poem where I was unsure of the overall meaning, but I did notice things. The main thing I want to point out is the simile the author uses. He states, "the movement of his powerful soft strides is like a ritual dance around a center". When I think of a ritual dance, I think of a tribe of Native Americans dancing around a fire. That may be a stereotype but that is what comes to my mind. I think this simile is effective because it clarifies that fact that this panther cannot escape. A ritual dance is a routine of some sort and the movements have to be done just right. I think this poem contains a tone of panic. The line "a thousand bars; and behind the bars, no world" seem to me like the panther is trapped and can't escape. But escape from what? That is the question. Another phrase "the curtain of the pupils lifts, quietly" symbolize the panther's eyes opening. This means that the whole first stanzas could be existing inside of a dream or within the mind. The poem also makes me think that the setting is a prison, with the "passing bars" and "no world" behind them. But then why would a panther be at a prison?


No comments:

Post a Comment