Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crossing the Bar

"I hope to see my Pilot face to face when I have crossed the bar."


I think this poem is about dying and going to heaven. I think "crossed the bar" is a metaphor for going to heaven. The Pilot is God, one because it is capitalized and two because you see God when you go to heaven. I feel like the speaker may be wanting death so almost suicide. The phrase "And may there be no moaning of the bar when I put out to sea" makes it sound like the speaker is willingly dying. I'm not exactly sure why the speaker does not want people to mourn over his/her death. People who commit suicide usually feel like people don't care about them but the speaker makes it sounds like he/she knows people care so he/she doesn't want them to mourn. Maybe the speaker is going off to war or something? That could make sense, because maybe then he knows he is dying for a good cause so there is no reason to mourn the death. Now I feel like I might be just making up things that may or may not be true. I'm confused on why "Time and Place" are capitalized. There seems to be a destination of this "Time and Place". Is it heaven? At the end of time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment