Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hazel Tells LaVerne

"well i screams
ya little green pervert
and i hitsm with my mop"


I really liked this poem because it was easy to follow and funny. I visualized the speaker of this poem as being an uneducated woman judging by her language of "hitsm" "ta flush" and "musta". I'm thinking maybe a black woman who is a housekeeper because she is cleaning toilets in a "howard johnson" or hotel room. This poem seems like a satire of the "Princess and the Frog". In the original story, there is a pretty girl who is dying to be a princess. However, in this poem the woman can never see herself as a princess and sees the frog as some sick joke or a "little green pervert". I think the humor in this poem conveys a theme of everything is not what it seems. When first reading this poem, I thought the woman would love to kiss the frog and be a princess and live a better lifestyle. It's surprising and funny that the woman wants nothing to do with being a princess. I think she already had a sense of who she was and her place in society and wasn't really searching for anything more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment