Sunday, July 31, 2011

Who is Ruth?-9

"So you see, it's got to be you to our rescue. Tommy and I were made for each other and he'll listen to you. You'll do it for us, won't you, Kathy?" (Never Let Me Go, page 104)


I'm really starting to dislike Ruth. She comes across as extremely bratty and self-centered. She is only nice to people when they do things for her, and she uses people to get what she wants. I think deep down she really does value her friendship with Kathy, but the way she treats her sometimes is not the way friends should treat each other. I'm also shocked at the way Kathy lets it happen. She seems like such a strong character, but I guess I'm starting to understand that she has insecurities just like everyone else, and strives to be accepted. I also don't understand Ruth and Tommy's relationship. They seem like complete opposites, yet they are dating?? Hmmmm...


I hate to connect anything to Pretty Little Liars but this situation is exactly like it (the books NOT the tv show). Anyways in the books Pretty Little Liars, a girl named Ali is the most popular girl and she is sneaky and conniving and will do anything to get what she wants. She reminds me of Ruth because in the novels, Ali uses her friends without a second thought. Her friends know that she is using them, but they keep pretending that she is not because they want to be friends with her so bad and are scared to lose the friendship. I think Kathy needs to start making her own decisions and realize her life would probably have less drama if Ruth was out of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment