Thursday, July 14, 2011

Carer, Donors, and View Points- 1

"I've developed a kind of instinct around donors. I know when to hang around and comfort them, when to leave them to themselves; when to listen to everything they have to say, and when just to shrug and tell them to snap out of it." (Never Let Me Go, page 3)


While reading the first paragraph of Never Let Me Go, the reader finds out that the book is written in first person point of view. This is already different from Brave New World. I think that when a book is written in first person point of view the reader benefits greatly because they can really identify with the main character and understand what they are feeling.


So the reader finds out that Kathy is a carer and assists donors. I'm a little confused at what exactly that means. I'm guessing that she is somewhat of a nurse who helps these donors. Usually donors have a good connotation as being people who give blood or a body part to someone in need. But the kinds of donors in the book sound like people who are dying and are not going to be able to recover. 


From the first person point of view, I can tell that Kathy is a good person who likes to help others. However, I think she is sometimes hesitant to stand up for what she believes in because she worries about what people will think of her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment