Friday, July 15, 2011

Striving to be accepted- 2

"There was something about Tommy himself- the way he carried himself, the way he looked people in the face and talked in his open, good-natured way- that was different from before, and which had in turn changed the attitudes of those around him." (Never Let Me Go, page 22)


I find Tommy's character very interesting. He is very sincere in what he says and is rarely sarcastic. I feel bad for him because of the way the other kids treat him when it seems like he doesn't really deserve it. When Kathy explains that they treat him that way because he doesn't do anything "creative", I think that is stupid. I mean I understand that everyone contributes to the Exchange and it was a way to gain personal possessions. However, if being creative wasn't Tommy's thing, then he shouldn't be forced to do it. 


I think this point kind of relates to Brave New World. Unless you conform to society, you will not be accepted. Because Tommy is different, he is treated differently. I would say that this is completely unfair but this still exists in our society today. 


Tommy's situation reminds me of the tv show Make it or Break it. One character named Emily joins an elite gymnastics team but is not initially accepted because she is new and has not been training her whole life. She is just as good as a gymnast as the other girls, but because she is different, she isn't accepted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment