Monday, February 6, 2012

It's All For You Othello

One of my favorite songs is "All For You" by Sister Hazel. I think it relates to Desdemona in the play Othello. The third line of the song is "But now there's a turnabout, maybe 'cause I'm trying". I relate this to when Othello thinks that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him. Othello radically changes his view of Desdemona. When Desdemona begs Othello to forgive Cassio, Othello sees that as she is in love with Cassio. The next lines of the song are "There's been times, I'm so confused. All my roads, they lead to you. I just can't turn and walk away". Even when Othello tells Desdemona that he thinks she cheated on him, she can't just leave him and walk away. Desdemona values her marriage with Othello and doesn't want to give up on it. The chorus of the song begins, "It's hard to say what it is I see in you, wonder if I'll always be with you". Othello and Desdemona come from very different backgrounds. No one thought they would be together because they are different races. Desdemona fell in love with Othello because of the stories he told not the way he looked. The last lines of the chorus are, "But words can't say, and I can't do enough to prove, it's all for you". Desdemona is trying to prove to Othello that she loves him and would never be unfaithful to him. However, her words don't seem to be enough to Othello to prove her innocence. She is trying to let Othello know that everything she does is for him and her marriage to him means the world to her.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment