Thursday, January 26, 2012

Othello- Act I/Act II- Question 3

"I hate the Moor, And it is thought abroad that 'twixt my sheets He's done my office. I know not if't be true, But I for mere suspicion in that kind Will do as if for surety." I.iii.366-370

In Othello, the protagonist is Othello and the antagonist is Iago. Iago is clearly jealous of Othello and is plotting against him throughout the play. I think two foil characters are Emilia and Desdemona. Emilia is very passive and allows herself to be treated poorly by men, especially Iago. Desdemona on the other hand stands up for Emilia and questions Iago when he criticizes women. She wants to be treated as more than an object. When criticized, Emilia only quietly says, "You shall not write my praise" (II.i.116) while Desdemona says, "Oh, fie upon thee, slanderer!" (II.i.113). The minor characters help create suspense and drive the plot. Roderigo's love for Desdemona allows Iago to initiate a fight between Roderigo and Cassio. Cassio's need for Othello to forgive him and Desdemona's kindheartedness allows Iago to convince Othello that there is something going on between Cassio and Desdemona. Almost all of the minor characters assist Iago in plotting against Othello. Their feelings and actions create Iago's plan and evil motives to gain power and dethrone others.

No comments:

Post a Comment