Thursday, December 8, 2011

Popular Mechanics

"But he would not let go. He felt the baby slipping out of his hands and he pulled back very hard. In this manner, the issue was decided." 


1. Discuss the story's final lines. What is the "issue" that is "decided"?


I think the issue is that both parents want the child. Obviously, the couple's relationship has gone downhill. The wife yelling at the husband, "I'm glad you're leaving" gives off the impression that the husband did something wrong. He could have cheated or been abusive. However, the fact that the husband wants to baby makes me think that he did care about the family. The way these parents are handling the situation shows how immature they are. It's understandable that they both want their kid; however, they aren't taking into account that they are physically hurting this baby by pulling the baby in two directions. I think the issue decided is who got the baby. It sounded to me like the baby was being physically torn apart and so no one got the baby. I don't think it really matters if the baby was physically hurt or not. I think the author is trying to show how these two parents going their separate ways is going to affect the rest of this baby's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment