Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Miss Brill

"But today she passed the baker's by, climbed the stairs, went into the little dark room-her room like a cupboard- and sat down on the red eiderdown. She sat there for a long time." page 186


9. Describe Miss Brill's sense of herself at the end of the story.


I think Miss Brill has a low self worth at the end of the story. Throughout the entire story, Miss Brill is observing people and making judgments about them based on her observances. However, when the couple stereotypes her and judges her, she becomes depressed. I mean I understand where she is coming from. If someone called me a "stupid old thing" I would probably start crying. The reader can tell that Miss Brill is hurt by the couple's words because she doesn't go to the baker's where she normally looks forward to going every day. She also takes off her fur which she was so proud of. I'm not sure what the "something crying" is at the very end of the story. I feel like it could be her soul. Miss Brill doesn't really show emotions throughout the story, so I think she might not even recognize her own tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment