Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Raisin in the Sun- Question 2

2. Discuss the ways in which the setting of Raisin has a profound effect upon two of the characters.


"Ruth(Turning and going to Mama fast- the words pouring out with urgency and desperation) Lena- I'll work...I'll work twenty hours a day in all the kitchens in Chicago...I'll strap my baby on my back if I have to and scrub all the floors in America and wash all the sheets in America if I have to-but we got to MOVE! We got to get OUT OF HERE!!" (III.i.140).


I think the setting has a lasting effect on Ruth and Walter. Judging from the above quote, Ruth was obviously very unhappy with the apartment and wanted desperately to move. I think she felt like living in there, there was no way out. She didn't listen to Walter and his dreams because she felt like they could never happen. She realized that her entire family was stuck in this small apartment and she didn't see a hopeful possibility that they would get out. When the chance of moving comes about, we see Ruth come to life. She actually becomes excited about something because she sees moving as a chance to start over and have some value in her life. The setting also affects Walter. I think the confinement of the apartment affects him the most. He feels trapped in this tiny apartment with his mom, wife and sister constantly nagging at him. He has big dreams but he can't accomplish those dreams because none of his family members believe in him and support him. Like Ruth, moving would be a chance to start over and a big house would mean less confinement and more freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment