Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lonely Hearts

"Please write (with photo) to Box 152."


I found this poem entertaining. It makes me think of the commercials for the online dating sites like eHarmony. I think this poem is a satire of people who are desperate and do any means necessary to find someone. Some of the situations described in the poem are just so ridiculous like a "gay vegetarian whose friends are few" and "attractive Jewish lady with a son". I think the speaker is trying to say that people sometimes say too much about their personal life and just want so desperately to be loved. I think the structure of this poem is perfect for the situation. It is a villanelle so each section is three lines and the last section is four lines. Each tercet is describing someone who is looking for that special someone. The final quatrain gives a final plea to people to answer the advertisements and I cracked up when it said "with photo" because obviously these people have pretty specific requirements that they expect to be met.



No comments:

Post a Comment